Monday, January 25, 2016

Week 2: Topics Brainstorming

Storybook Topics Brainstorm



Possible Topic: Phoenix. I have always loved Phoenixes. I find them graceful and mysterious. The fact that when they die, they then rise from the ashes, reborn, to me has special meaning. To be beaten down, the person you once were gone, dead, and then you rise again anew. I have been at rock bottom and have struggled to redefine myself.

Research so far: Phoenixes and other similar creatures are found in several different cultures. Upon a quick scan of the topic, I found Bennu from Egyptian mythology, Huma from Persian mythology, Feng Huang from Chinese mythology and Milcham or Chol from Judaism are all similar to the phoenix. I am interested in knowing more about them, in what ways are they different and in what ways are they the same.




Possible Topic: Dragons. I love dragons. Always have even as a kid. In many European mythologies, a dragon is malevolent. But that didn’t stop me from liking them. Some are drawn as horrific and others as beautiful creatures. On the other hand, in some cultures, mainly Asian, dragons are benevolent. They are often thought of as lucky. Asian dragons also look very different from European ones.

Research so far: I haven’t done too much research into the topic just yet. I have considered focusing on a few specific dragons from various mythologies. Possibilities include Jormungandr from Norse mythology, Shen Lung from Chinese mythology, Hydra from Greek mythology, and Quetzalcoatl from Aztec mythology. There are many I intend look into and find my favorites.



You have got to love Toothless

Possible Topic: Mischievous Gods. I have a certain soft spot for the Norse trickster, Loki. I even used to have a cat named after him. I thought I might do my storybook on Loki and other trickster gods.

Research so far: I haven’t found much on other mischievous gods just yet. There are others in different mythologies. Many are not gods, but creatures. Coyotes in many different Native American cultures are considered mischievous. Foxes appear in many cultures as well. Anansi in African mythology is a spider. I have heard of him before, but I know nothing about him and think he would be interesting to learn more about.




Possible Topic: Weather Gods. As a meteorology major, this one is likely going to be the one I go with. From the moment I realized we were going to have to do a storybook project, my mind first went to Thor, the Norse god of thunder, even before it was suggested to me that I might want to consider doing my project on weather mythology.

Research so far: There are a few different ways I can go with using weather gods. My first thought was to do something on the storm gods. But upon researching a little on the different weather gods, I realized I can go in so many different ways. I didn’t realize how many weather gods there were. It seems like every culture has weather gods, many have more than one. There are gods that are over the weather in general, there are gods over things like the sun and clouds and rain and even rainbows. I could also just choose one culture and study all the different weather gods in that culture. I will definitely need to spend more time researching before I make my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment