Saturday, January 23, 2016

Week 2 Reading Dairy, continuted: Ovid's Metamorphoses 1



Reading B - Ovid's Metamorphoses 1 (Books 1 - 4) translated into English by Tony Kline
 
I really enjoyed the story of Echo. Echo lost her ability to speak, except repeating what she last heard, because she would distract Juno with her long conversations. The conversations would allow the nymphs, which were lying with Jupiter, time to escape. This infuriated Juno ‘I shall give you less power over that tongue by which I have been deluded, and the briefest ability to speak,’ and she took Echo’s ability to hold normal conversations.


The story of Perseus, Andromeda, and Medusa has always been a favorite of mine. I think it’s interesting that the winged horse Pegasus and the warrior Chrysaor were born from Medusa’s blood. Many mythology stories are strange in the way that some of the people and creatures were born. They really don’t make much since and I wonder how the stories got started. 


1 comment:

  1. Wow, that image is amazing, Andrea! I pinned it to my Myth-Folklore Board. Edward Burne-Jones is one of my favorite artists. And I am so glad you are liking Ovid. Isn't it cool about Echo's name? The word "echo" is exactly that in Greek: Echo. That is where the English word comes from! Very cool. :-)

    ReplyDelete