Sunday, January 17, 2016

Andrea's Storybook Favorites

I have found 4 storybooks that I took an interest to.

First is Monster Hunter. I have always liked mythical creatures, and the title caught my attention right away. I like how the stories are told form the point of view of someone who hunts the beasts. Although I really liked the background picture on the storybook, I feel that the print on top of the picture was somewhat difficult to read.

Next is Mythology's Most Wanted. Honestly, one of the main reasons I choose this one is because one of the stories is about Loki. I have to admit I have a bit of a soft spot for the trickster. I like the layout and design of the storybook, although I wish the print in the stories was the same as in the intro. I don't know if it's the font or if it is just a size smaller in the stories. Or maybe I'm just getting to old to read small print. I enjoyed that each of the stories was told by the main character themselves.

Third is Babs Urban Myths. Urban myths have always intrigued me. I like that she explained in the introduction that she used the website Snopes as her source for the stories. Bloody Mary terrified me as a child. I thought using a therapist trying to assist the main character as an interesting path to take with it.

Last is Ghost Stories of British Castles. I love old castles and knowing there are many ghost stories attached to many of the castles, the title intrigued me. Henry, the friendly ghost is taking you on a tour of the old haunted castles. I liked the pictures included, but I did find the basic black print on white background boring. 
 Gormanston Castle (source Medieval Castle)

I found several stories that told me what I do not want to do. I didn't care for the ones that were more like a tv interview. I don't know why specifically, just that I know I won't be taking that approach with my own storybook. I like the ones that have a colored background with a contracting print. I also think I may go with a slightly larger font than the default. The storybooks I chose were more that the topic interested me, as opposed to the style. I did look through enough storybooks that I have a basic idea of what styles I like and dislike.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you have put this assignment to really good use, Andrea: super! As you can tell, people go in all kinds of different directions with their topics, with their styles, and with their website design. Everybody has their own interests and tastes, and by thinking about both what you like and what you don't like, you will be able to start to imagine your own project for the class. The sheer variety of people's interests makes for a really exciting collection of stories every single semester. I am curious to see what you will decide to do... I am guessing there are so many topics that might be of interest to you! Have fun as you keep on exploring!

    ReplyDelete