Thursday, January 21, 2016

Week 2 Reading Diary: Ovid's Metamorphoses 1

Reading A - Ovid's Metamorphoses 1 (Books 1 - 4) translated into English by Tony Kline


I had forgotten how difficult a prose is to follow. It's been a while since I have read any of Ovid, or any other prose for that matter. A couple of sections caught my interest. The flood in Deucalion and Pyrrha is similar to the story of Noah in the bible. Callisto tells of how Callisto and her son become Ursa Major and Ursa Minor constellations. I really liked how in Phaethon's Ride, the earth complains about being burned and begs to have her misery ended.

I'm not really sure at this point how to go about taking notes on these stories. I am starting to get ideas on how to go about writing my own story. Several of these stories could use more detail. I think I could easily expand on one of them for my own tale. At this point I am considering expanding on the earth's misery. I will need to read the second half of my reading before making that decision. A quick glance at that reading appears as though it might hold my interest more.

No comments:

Post a Comment